It’s easy to turn an ankle—these three strengthening exercises can help prevent sprains
By Priscilla Regli
1. In a standing position, take a step while leaning gently on the outside of your foot. Take a step with the other foot using the same movement.
2. Keep moving forward like this for 8 to 10 steps.
1. Sit on a chair with your back straight and lift your right leg.
2. Keeping your leg still, do 10 clockwise circles with your foot and then 10 circles in the opposite direction.
3. Repeat the exercise with your left foot.
Stretching Your Calves
1. Stand facing a wall. Place your hands on the wall at shoulder height for balance.
2. Slide your left foot forward until your leg is slightly bent. Move your right foot back so that your leg is extended, keeping your foot flat on the floor.
3. Hold this position for 30 to 60 seconds, and then switch legs and repeat the stretch.
A Pro Tip
For effective strengthening of your ankles, do each of these exercises twice a week.
Photo credit: Laurence Labat