Mature skin doesn’t mean you can’t shine
By Katrina Caruso
With summer finally around the corner, it’s time to consider getting your hands on a product that is arguably having its moment in the beauty world’s spotlight: highlighter. Since the rise in Korean beauty trends reaching North America, it seems that every YouTuber and Instagrammer, and a lot of the rest of us, has been reaching for a product to give our skin a natural (and even sometimes supernatural) glow.
For those who like to be on top of the trends but worry that such products aren’t for mature skin, the thing to look for is a fluid or cream highlighter. These go on the skin more smoothly than powders and don’t settle into fine lines and wrinkles the same way. Powders also tend to amplify any skin perfections.
How does one highlight? Depending on the product, I like to mix a bit in with my day cream, or if it’s a cream, I like to dab a bit onto my cheekbones, brow bone, and the tip of my nose after applying my foundation and blush. A touch of the product, mixed in with a swipe of a highlighter brush, will warm up the area and produce a nice, natural glow.
Here are a few products that are getting good reviews.
– Perhaps one of the most well-known and well-reviewed products is Yves Saint Laurent’s Touche d’Éclat.
– There’s a reason that Giorgio Armani’s Fluid Sheer is a favourite—the texture; the product goes on light and sheer while offering an overall glow.
– Rihanna’s newly released Fenty line offers a wide range of highlighting products; the Match Stix Shimmer is getting some of the best reviews and comes in a wide range of pinks, corals, and opals for any skin tone.
– BECCA’s Shimmering Skin Perfector comes in seven gorgeous shades, which should cover all your highlighting needs.
– A beloved product in the beauty world, Marc Jacob’s Dew Drops is said to offer the perfect glow.
– Cover FX’s Custom Enhancer Drops, available in a range of colours, can be mixed into a moisturizer, mixed in with your foundation, or just added to the skin on its own.
– For a more affordable option, Sephora offers Radiant Luminizing Drops, available in three colours.
– Tarte’s Brighter Days Highlighting Moisturizer is my personal favourite product for a natural, all-over glow. I put my sunscreen on top and I’m ready for the day.
Unsure where to start? Consider Sephora’s Sunkissed Glow, a kit that combines highlighters and bronzers from several companies. You can try the whole range to really find your glow.